Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's one of those things you never would think it would happend to you but it did

So today something that I never thought would happen, did happen! And No I am not pregnant. So as everyone knows I work at a middle school with teenagers. So today during lunch, the teenagers were in my room eating lunch. I was sitting there talking to them as usual, when one of the students grabbed the water bottle off my desk. I asked why was the student taking my water, when he pointed to another student and said "Look Miss..He is choking." At this point I look at one of my students who is clutching their throat turning purple. I look around the room and realize I am the only adult. So I calmly ask the student can you cough or talk, at which he shook his head no. I instruct one of my students to call the nurse. I should say this, the events that took place after this I feel are truly from Heavenly Father. I know I could not have done this exactly without him guiding my hands.

So I go behind my student, tilt him forward, and proceed to do the Heimlich manuever. I do one thrust which causes the student to choke up food. I ask the student again if he can talk. He shakes his head no. So I proceeded to do two more thrust causing the student to vomit and choke up more food. After this the student could finally talk. By this time, the nurse arrives and I am grateful that the student is able to talk.

So thanks to my mother who always did her job to teach me first aid, my friend Adreinne who gave me a CPR class for my birthday, and Heavenly Father for allowing me to be an aid in his hands and not allowing a tradegy to take place.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am trying to think, is there anyone I forgot to call and tell? Is there anyone I forgot to text? Let's see.....oh shoot....I forgot to call President Bush. I'll be back in a second.

misti said...

Hey Amanda! Glad you found me on here! And glad I have some more reading material (your blog), hehe :)

Vanessa said...

hey girl...great job! i bet that was so scary! i think its funny that you looked around the room to see that you were the only adult. sometimes i forget that i'm an adult now, and not just one of the kids...and that I have to be the responsible ones. how's life going with milton in school again? hope you are doing okay!!