Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Is That What I Think It Is

Yep..That's right...This is a cake made out of candy bars. I have seen many flower and gift baskets shops make these. I always thought they were so cool, so when my best friend's birthday was coming up I thought I would order one. So then I started pricing them and I was like "Holy Cow!" Those are expensive. The more I looked at them , the more I thought I can make this! So today I am going to show you how to make them. They are super easy and super cute! The materials can be changed to fit whatever type of cake you want. So please read entire demonstration to best decide what you are going to use.

Materials
two round Styrofoam disc
glue gun
glue sticks for glue gun
candy bars and candy of your choice
ribbons
cardboard cut into a circle or a something to represent a plate














Okay now I went to walmart and the only had one size of the Styrofoam disc. The were smaller than what I originally wanted so I changed my candy to the mini candy bars (the ones that are a $1 for like 8). However it turned out for the best. I am sure if you want a bigger cake or multi layers you can look at your local craft store.

So you are going to hot glue the two pieces of Styrofoam together to make it look like two layers of cake.

Next you are going to glue the candy that you picked to go around the cake. The friend that I was doing this for only likes Hershey and M&M's. So I picked the Hershey bars to go on the outside. Now for a word of caution. Make sure you have plenty of candy. I only got two packages of the mini Hershey thinking it was a enough well I had to use and M& M package to finish it.













So once you have glue your candy all away around the "cake" you need to pick what the top frosting is going to look like. Like I said, my friend only likes the two kinds of chocolate. So my "top frosting" was M&M's. I just put a dab of hot glue on each M&M package so that it stuck but could be easily removed. The Hershey bars I put a little more glue to make sure they were sturdy.


There is no need to "frost the bottom" because that is going to be glue to the "plate" Now I actually used a paper plate because mine was a mini cake. However if you did a full size cake with full size candy bars you might have to cut a piece of cardboard to represent your plate

next you put on the ribbon. Now I went and bought pre-curled but you are more than welcome to buy ribbon and curl it yourself.

Place on top of cake
Now all you have to do is add a vase of flowers and a card and TAADAAA, you've got one heck of a present. Disclaimer****The flowers in the vase were actually fixed nice and pretty before they were delivered.

Anyways, I am going to leave a couple other cakes with you that I did not make. These are just so you can see different designs and make one to your liking.



5 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE THIS!!! I LOVE THIS!!! I'M GONNA MAKE THIS!!

http://www.livinlouisiana.blogspot.com

Dear Darla said...

Darla likes

misti said...

SOOO cute Amanda! Love that idea.

The Odd Couple said...

I too will have to steal the idea! I have lots of birthdays in May....who should I try it out on! Too clever!

~Melinda said...

~click~ SUBSCRIBE! Yummy and unique gift/party idea! I love it!!!